New York’s oldest alternative art space.
White Columns was founded in 1970 by a group of artists including Jeffrey Lew and Gordon Matta-Clark as an experimental platform for art. Originally located in SoHo (and known as the 112 Workshop/112 Greene Street), the organization was renamed White Columns when it moved to Spring Street in 1979. In 1991 White Columns moved to Christopher Street in the West Village, and in 1998 the gallery relocated to the borders of the West Village and Meat Packing District. In April 2018, White Columns re-opened in a new location at 91 Horatio Street adjacent to the new Whitney Museum of American Art and The High-Line.
White Columns presents an ongoing program of exhibitions, projects, talks, screenings, and events. Additionally it has a record label ‘The Sound of White Columns’ that releases vinyl-only recordings by artist-performers. White Columns is a not-for-profit gallery which is open to the public, free-of-charge, eleven months per year.
White Columns provides support to artists who have yet to benefit from wider critical, curatorial or commercial attention.
Over the past forty-nine years, hundreds of artists have benefited from early exposure and support at White Columns, including: Gordon Matta-Clark, Louise Bourgeois, Jene Highstein, Barry Le Va, Alice Aycock, Richard Nonas, Jackie Winsor, Willoughby Sharp, Susan Rothenberg, Kiki Smith, Harmony Hammond, William Wegman, Peter Fend, Sonic Youth, Barbara Ess, John Miller, David Robbins, Jack Goldstein, John Stezaker, David Wojnarowicz, Michael Smith, Douglas Blau, Ashley Bickerton, Group Material, Felix Gonzalez-Torres, Andres Serrano, Fred Wilson, Sturtevant, Cady Noland, ACT-UP, Lorna Simpson, John Currin, Sean Landers, Verne Dawson, Marlene McCarty, Lutz Bacher, Tom Burr, Jim Hodges, Glenn Ligon, Jack Pierson, Kathe Burkhart, Richard Phillips, Sarah Sze, Aida Ruilova, Judy Linn, Eileen Quinlan, Dodie Bellamy, Kevin Killian, John Stezaker, William Scott, Luke Fowler, Steven Claydon, Lars Laumann, Alexandre Singh, Margaret Lee, Ella Kruglyanskaya, Marlon Mullen, Derrick Alexis Coard, Magdalena Suarez Frimkess, Bill Lynch, Gerasimos Floratos, Hugh Hayden, and Aliza Nisenbaum, amongst many others.
212 924 4212
212 645 4764 Fax
91 Horatio Street
New York, NY 10014
(Between West and Washington Street)
Open Tuesday–Saturday, 12–6 PM
- In-person educational and community groups of all ages are welcome to visit anytime during our gallery hours. The current maximum capacity for the gallery is 10 visitors at a time for up to 30 minutes of viewing time. Appointments in advance are not necessary but encouraged. Please note restrooms are closed to the public at this time.
- If your group would like to request an in-person tour or talk from a member of our staff during your visit, please contact email@example.com
with your group’s availability, size, age range, accessibility needs, and any other relevant information and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- If you are feeling unwell, or are exhibiting any symptoms of
COVID-19, please refrain from visiting the gallery.
- Face mask or covering over the nose and mouth is required.
- Visitors will be allowed in the gallery for 30 minutes of viewing time.
- Visitors are required to practice social distancing, keeping 6 feet between themselves, staff members and other visitors that they are not traveling with.
- A maximum of 4 visitors will be allowed in the gallery at any given time.
- Restrooms are closed to the public.
- Please be aware of New York State Covid-19 Travel Advisory requirements.
- Staff will wear face masks and practice social distancing at all times.
- Staff will disinfect touchable surfaces daily.
White Columns is fully wheelchair accessible, with a wheelchair lift installed at our front entrance and a wheelchair accessible restroom*. Please use the bell located to the right of our outside entrance for any assistance. Large print materials and tours with staff members available upon request. Service animals are welcome. We will make every effort to provide any other accommodations on site, and requests can be submitted in advance of your visit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Due to concerns over COVID-19, White Columns restrooms are indefinitely closed to the public.
Staff & Board
Manager of Finances & Operations
Brittany Adeline King
Curatorial Assistant & Archivist
Board of Directors
Gregory Miller, President
Yvonne Force Villareal
Jeanne Greenberg Rohatyn